I am an engineer by profession and a photographer by passion. I love to build stuff and when I am not building, I love to click.
Currently, I am the CEO of Subnero, a Singapore based company that specializes in providing underwater communications and networking technology & solutions. At Subnero, we develop underwater communications, navigation and monitoring & sensing systems along with commercializing the technology developed at Acoustic Research Laboratory (ARL), National University of Singapore, of which I was part of.
When I am not thinking about underwater communication networks, I do take up freelance photography and videography assignments, in and around Singapore. Head over to my photography page for more details.
I am also a passionate 'electronic' gamer and naturally have interests in computer graphics, graphics processors, graphics designing etc. Some of my other interests are scuba diving, traveling, scale modeling etc.
In the News
- Who’s Who In The IEEE OES – Manu Ignatius
- How water drones can help Singapore sustain its water sources
- Keralites in Singapore whose achievements are highlighted in Onopaharam 2021 span from various fields [link]
- The CEO of underwater communications startup Subnero describes how he hopes to build an 'Internet of underwater things' [link]
- Life at Subnero during the Time of the Pandemic
- This CEO Makes It Possible To Get Wi-Fi Underwater
- Meet All 20 Awardees Of The Gen.T X Credit Suisse Social Impact Awards
- Generation T, Tatler's platform for leaders of tomorrow, and Credit Suisse have revealed the 20 awardees of the Social Impact Awards, a recognition of impact, sustainability and innovation
- COVID-19: What are homebound photographers doing during the lockdown?
- I Am Generation T: Manu Ignatius
- Generation T Asia list of distinctive young leaders shaping the Asia’s future
- Tipping Point: Muddy Waters [35:50]
- Diving Deep into Underwater Technologies
- Supporting the world’s water start-ups
- THE HANGAR by NUS Enterprise Entrepreneurs Feature — Subnero
- Think underwater internet is impossible? This Singapore startup is proving people wrong
- Singaporean start-up Subnero takes Internet underwater
- Meet Subnero, Asia's sole finalist at IoT Innovation Grand Challenge
- Ignatius, Manu, Anjangi, Prasad, and Mandar Chitre. "Smart Wireless Data Transfer Solution for Underwater Sensors Powered by Edge Computing." Paper presented at the Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Texas, USA, May 2023. doi: https://doi.org/10.4043/32543-MS.
- P. Anjangi, M. Chitre, M. Ignatius and C. Pendharkar, "Distributed Spatial Diversity Enabled Receiver System For An Underwater Acoustic Link," 2021 Fifth Underwater Communications and Networking Conference (UComms), 2021, pp. 1-5, doi: 10.1109/UComms50339.2021.9598131.
- Ignatius, Manu, and Prasad Anjangi. "Multichannel Modems The 'Swiss Army Knife' of Acoustic Modems in the Maritime Domain." SEA TECHNOLOGY 62.11 (2021): 17-21.
- P. Anjangi, A. Gibson, M. Ignatius, C. Pendharkar, A. Kurian, A. Low, M. Chitre, "Diver Communication and Localization System using Underwater Acoustics," Global Oceans 2020: Singapore – U.S. Gulf Coast, 2020, pp. 1-8, doi: 10.1109/IEEECONF38699.2020.9389462.
- V. Pallayil, M. Chitre, S. Kuselan, A. Raichur, M. Ignatius, and J. Potter, “Development of a second-generation underwater acoustic ambient noise imaging camera,” IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 175-189, 2016.
- M. Chitre, R. Bhatnagar, M. Ignatius, and S. Suman, “Baseband signal processing with UnetStack,” in Underwater Communications Networking (UComms 2014), (Sestri Levante, Italy), September 2014. (Invited).
- Nazar, M. A., Ignatius, M., Listyanto, P., Al-Qazwini, Z. A. T., “Modified CHOKe: Analysis and improvement of a stateless queue management scheme for fair bandwidth allocation” in Ultra Modern Telecommunications and Control Systems and Workshops (ICUMT), 2011 3rd International Congress, Budapest, October 2011, pp. 1 - 8.
- P. Venugopalan, M. A. Chitre, K. Subash, A. R. Raichur, M. Ignatius, K. C. Unnikrishnan, S. P. Tan, and R. C. Naveen, “Ambient noise imaging:experiments with romanis,” in ICTCA 2011- 10th International Conference on Theoretical and Computational Acoustics, Taipei, April 2011. (Invited).
- IEEE Xplore Author Profile
- Building a Low-Cost DIY Underwater Wireless System, The Singapore AUV Challenge (SAUVC), Singapore, Sep 2022
- The future of underwater wireless networks, a Subnero perspective, Undersea Defence Technology Conference, Rotterdam, Netherlands, Jun 2022
- [Podcast] The Future of Oceans, Networks, and Communication, Build The Future, Episode 30. [Spotify]
- Developing underwater internet - A startup's perspective at RobotX Interactive Forum, Singapore, 2019
- Hands-on with software defined modems & underwater networks at Breaking the Surface, Croatia, 2018
- Social Media Coordinator, IEEE OES, 2020-21
- Treasurer, IEEE OES, Singapore Chapter, 2020
- Promotions Chair, IEEE OES OCEANS 2020, Singapore
- Vice chair, IEEE OES Singapore AUV Challenge, 2020
- Vice chair, IEEE OES Singapore AUV Challenge, 2019
- Co-chair, IEEE OES Singapore AUV Challenge, 2018
- Vice Chair,IEEE OES, Singapore Chapter, 2016 - 17
- Committee Member, IEEE OES Singapore AUV Challenge (SAUVC) 2014 - 19
- M.Sc., (Electrical Engineering, Major in Computer Engineering), National University of Singapore
- B.Tech., (Electronics & Communication Engineering), Mahatma Gandhi University College of Engineering, Kerala, India
- Senior Software Engineer, Hewlett Packard Networking, Singapore
- Research Engineer, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Software Engineer, Nortel Networks, Bangalore, India
- Software Engineer, Network Systems and Technologies, Kerala, India
Photography is my passion. While my work at Subnero pushes me to see things the way they are, photography enables me to express myself the way I would like the world to be. I do freelance photography & videography assignments. You can find my portfolio here.
You can watch my travel videos here.